Astoria Queens Apartment Fire Caused by Overloaded Extension Cord

Tuesday night September 6, 2022 – Astoria, NY:

By APB Staff Writer

A fire in an Astoria apartment building that injured six people on Tuesday, September 6 was caused by an overloaded power strip, according to FDNY marshals.

Firefighters were called to 42-13 23rd Avenue in Astoria just before 8 PM after receiving reports of a fire. Two people had already jumped from the building and as firefighters arrived, the flames “were out the windows,” said NYFD Deputy Chief Mark Cuccurullo.

After firefighters determined that the blaze was on the second floor of the three-story building, the 60-person crew began to attack the fire which was placed under control in about 30 minutes, according to the NYPD.